If you live in California, going to Hilton Head, South Carolina…for a vacation….in the winter, may cause others to question your sanity. And with good reason. In the winter, Hilton Head can get as low as 45 degrees. (laugh here) That’s what my husband did.
But if you are staying in a nice hotel/resort, such as the Marriott Grande Ocean, and you’re traveling with your delicious husband and fun kids, the weather outside hardly matters! Cause wherever you are, there is always fun to be had!
The Marriott Grande Ocean on Hilton Head is a fantastic Resort…for many reasons:
1) The resort is on the beach.
2) The resort is on the beach!!!! (Yes! It’s that important I had to repeat it twice!) This is heaven when you have towels, toys and
little ones that have to pee all the time (Mom too). There is so much to see and do at the ocean, no explanation is needed.
3) Each room at the Marriott Grande Ocean is a 2 bedrooms! That’s 1 King, 2 Queen and 1 pull out couch! Big enough to sleep 8 people in beds and whoever else you can get to sleep on the floor or blow up mattress! We had 5 people and after a full week no one killed each other.
4) There is an indoor swimming pool and hot tub! Perfect for those cold days! There are a few outdoor pools if you are there in the summer…or want to do the polar bear thing in the winter.
5) Biking! Hilton Head island has beautiful bike paths everywhere! So we rented bikes! The Marriott Grande Ocean rents the bikes for $10 a day, $20 for 3 days and 30 for the week. Each of us got our own bike and we rode all over the island! We even rode on the beach! On the sand! The beach is so wide and since no one is on the beach in the winter we took the bikes to the hard sand
and cruised for miles and miles! Trust me, it was the best part of our trip and one of the best memories we’ve had on a vacation! The Marriott Grande Ocean has tandem bikes too. So if two of your family members want to trade in your current bike for a 2-fer, they are willing to do this at the same price!
6) Games. Every day, all day the Marriott Grande Ocean has activities. Some as hilarious as Family Feud, Candy Bingo, Deal or No Deal, Newlywed Game (refurbished for long term married couples!) to name a few. We won a free pizza at Deal or No Deal and during the Newlywed Game I found out that my husband’s favorite eatery is….Wholefoods (?)! Best part, all these games involve your entire family (except the dating one) and are so fun and engaging everyone comes and begs for more! It’s a great way to meet other travelers/neighbors staying at the hotel (because you are there all week!) and becoming life long travel friends is not an
7) Movies. There are 3 flat screen TV’s in each room. Every night the Marriott Grande Ocean offers a single current movie and if you turn your TV to that channel, you can watch the movie for free. Also, they have a large catalog of movies to rent for $5 per movie or 2 per day all week long for $15. Quite a steal for us because we love movies and never have the time to sit and watch movies together due to sports, work and just home/life crap. So if you are staying a full week and love to watch movies with your family, you’ll love this deal (don’t forget to buy popcorn!)
There is nothing like getting away for a full week with your family. Your kids are only
young just once. Taking a trip like this during the winter (as we did) or in the summer adds fun and memories to last a life time. Don’t wait to do things like this with your family.